This rich, creamy twist on traditional chicken paella gets an alluring Spanish accent from smoky cured chorizo and the unmistakable fragrance and flavor of saffron.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 ounces cured Spanish chorizo sausage, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 16 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cooking spray
- Calories 325
- Fat 12.2g
- Satfat 3.7g
- Monofat 5.1g
- Polyfat 2.1g
- Protein 23.3g
- Carbohydrate 28.9g
- Fiber 2.2g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Iron 2.3mg
- Sodium 556mg
- Calcium 94mg
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; place in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining chicken. Add to bowl. Place remaining 1 teaspoon oil, onion, and chorizo in pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and bell pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chorizo mixture, cooked rice, peas, and olives to chicken; toss to combine.
Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium saucepan over medium heat; stir well with a whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick and bubbly. Remove pan from heat; stir in sour cream. Add sour cream mixture to chicken mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon the chicken mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
MyRecipes is working with Let’s Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA’s MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates.