This ain’t your mama’s chicken casserole. The comfort food classic gets a modern, nutrient-dense makeover with the addition of quinoa. Beyond being warm, cheesy, and generally delightful, this flavor-packed casserole is loaded with protein and is sure to become a new family favorite.
- 1 3/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped seeded poblano pepper (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild chopped green chiles
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 3.5 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 3/4 cup)
- Calories 442
- Fat 16.6g
- Satfat 4.8g
- Monofat 7.9g
- Polyfat 2.4g
- Protein 30g
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 6.5g
- Cholesterol 56mg
- Iron 3mg
- Sodium 686mg
- Calcium 423mg
- Sugars 9g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine cooked quinoa and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Spread quinoa on a parchment-lined baking sheet; bake at 400° for 14 minutes.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil; swirl. Add poblano pepper, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in flour, cumin, and chili powder; cook 1 minute. Add stock, salt, tomatoes, and chopped green chiles to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in chicken. Pour half of chicken mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish; top with half of quinoa mixture and 2 ounces cheese. Repeat layers once with remaining chicken mixture, remaining quinoa, and remaining 5 ounces cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.