You know and love banana bread—now it’s time to meet the best version of banana bread, a.k.a. the absolute best way to use older, overripe bananas. Our Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is super moist thanks to a special ingredient: sour cream. Meanwhile, the chocolate chips add extra indulgence and texture. This super simple comfort food is perfect for breakfast, tea time, dessert, or any time you need a baked pick-me-up.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups (about 5 3/4 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (from 2 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted and cooled
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line loaf pan or pans with parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
Stir together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with a wooden spoon in a separate bowl until thick and forms a paste. Add mashed bananas, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla to butter mixture, stirring until just combined.
Fold flour mixture into banana mixture. Once combined, fold in nuts and chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick comes out mostly clean (will be moist but not raw), 45 to 55 minutes for 2 loaves, or 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes for 1 loaf. Cool completely in pan.