Okay, I have to admit, I’m pretty proud of these. Aren’t they so cute with their swirl of avocado buttercream frosting? I’ve seen several chocolate cake and chocolate brownie recipes topped with avocado buttercream frosting over the years, so when I was coming up with ways to use up my avocados I knew I wanted to try making either cupcakes or brownies with avocado frosting.
Usually the ones I see just smear the frosting on the top. I originally did that, but I didn’t think it looked so pretty and I suddenly got the idea to pipe a swirl on top of each brownie piece inside. I couldn’t get over just how nice they turned out.
servings: 12 brownies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
These avocado brownies are topped with a pretty avocado frosting made with cream and sugar.
for the brownies
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and pit removed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Microwave the chocolate and the butter for 2 minutes until the butter melts. Stir the mixture with a large wooden spoon until the chocolate melts and mixture becomes smooth.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, mashed avocado and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in flour and mix until batter is smooth.
- Pour the brownie batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake the brownies for about 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While brownies are cooling, make the frosting. Add avocado, sugar and heavy cream into a blender and blend on high speed until batter is smooth, no avocado pieces remain and frosting is stiff enough for piping (it is still not as stiff as your typical buttercream of whipped cream frosting, but it should be stiff enough to hold a piped swirl).
- After brownies are cooled, cut into squares and pipe with frosting.