My husband thinks I am a culinary genius after the delicious and easy dinner I served this weekend. I made a Southwestern Chicken Casserole, and while I did accept all of his compliments, I know what really bumped this dish up a notch was the four cheeses used in the chicken breading.if you love dinner casseroles be sure to check out our Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole and our Stuffed Shells Recipe.
Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups (150g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) cooked brown rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 (15-ounces) can black beans, drained and rinsed (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 (10-ounces) can diced tomato and green chili blend, drained
- 3/4 cup (180ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (150g) reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C), and coat casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
Pour mixture into a casserole dish, and bake for about 25 minutes or until center is firm.
Let cool 5–10 minutes, and serve with desired garnishes.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 426; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 173mg; Sodium: 548mg; Carbohydrate: 37g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 40g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 393mg; Iron: 21%; Vitamin A: 20%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 39%
The Southwestern Chicken Casserole got rave reviews. Even my kids liked it. Well, after they picked out the beans and corn. They are pretty picky. My husband had no idea how I prepared the meal, but he kept asking what I did to the chicken. He could tell this was no ordinary breading. I just told him that I am a wizard in the kitchen and he believed me.